Thursday, August 9, 2012

We're Alive! Recap of July

Wow, the last month has been pretty ridiculous. Mitchell turned 28, I had my first tooth extraction (far worse than labor and delivery!) and Derek got a dinosaur-sized goose egg on his head. Lanae, David and Logan came to visit for a whole week, the first little girl grandbaby was born and this little baby in my belly is trying so hard to claw his way out next!

Unfortunately (and uncharacteristically) I took very few pictures this last month. I'll add what I have, but this will be a pretty short post with very little visuals.

I surprised Mitchell with a surprise birthday party for his 28th birthday. Unfortunately, my cracked tooth decided to throw in the towel two days before the party and require an oral surgeon to extract it a few hours before the party started. Stupid tooth. Mitchell had no idea that he was getting a party but he seemed to enjoy it. He and his dad BBQ'd some burgers and hot dogs, Tammy made an AWESOME strawberry creme stack cake and much of my extended family was able to come. It was supposed to be a pool party but the only one who ended up swimming was Derek. He had fun though. :) My mom, Amy and Val came out early to help me (really they ended up doing everything for me because the pain killers made me so sleepy and disoriented) but thankfully things went well and everyone had a good time. All I remember are the popsicles and potato salad I ate. Ha! Thankfully I didn't have to wear my ice pack to the party. The dr's said I had to wear an ice pack for 30 minutes once an hour. Literally, wear it. I had a big stretchy cloth bandage that circled my head to hold the ice pack to my face. Mitchell got a big kick out of the picture text I sent him at work.

Lanae, David and Logan came out to visit the first week of August. Derek had a great time! We got to watch Logan for a while so Lanae and David could go celebrate their anniversary in Dallas. Those kids crack me up! Derek kept calling David "Uncle Austin" but we've been doing some intensive review of aunts and uncles and cousins to prepare for Christmas (I know, a little early) and I think we've sorted them out. It was still cute. Liz delivered little Emeri May on July 26 and we were able to video chat with them about a week later. Lanae, David, Logan, Jeff and Tammy came out to our apartment so we could use the kinect to chat but we ended up having to scrap it the first night because of technical difficulties. We ended up watching Prince of Persia while the boys played with all the cool cars and transformers my aunt passed on to us. Tons of them! We eventually were able to video chat with Austin and Liz later in the week. Emeri is so cute with lots of dark black hair and I love her name! This brings the cousin count to six with our baby boy and Lanae's baby girl making seven and eight. Eight grandbabies for Jeff and Tammy in just over three years! This Christmas is going to be a blast!

Derek and Logan were chasing each other around upstairs and the corner wanted to play tag with Derek. Stupid corner won this round I think. Derek didn't like putting the bag of frozen corn on his face either, so we only did a few rounds of it.


Derek loves to play!! He got such a kick out of showing Logan his toys!

We love Baby Emeri!

Derek makes up songs now. They're all to the tune of  "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and he insistes on singing them at bedtime. The very first song he made up was the car song and it consists of three descending notes and one word: "car car car." I think he's developed songs for Aunt Amy, Nana, Papa's Truck and Giga so far but new ones pop up every now and then.

 Jeff and Tammy took us out to Cheesecake Factory one night. I don't remember why we were celebrating, but it sure tasted good! While we were waiting for our table to be prepared, Derek realized there were full size cars parked in the mall. This kid is OBSESSED with cars, trucks and trains. His new thing is pointing out ALL the tires on ALL the cars we see when we run errands. Here, he ran around pointing out the headlights/tail lights on this car and the matching SUV not pictured as well as other various features and trying to open the doors. Very entertaining.

Singing songs for Aunt Mary, Aunt Nancy and Aunt Val who were face-timing us from Chicago.

No comments: