Sunday, August 26, 2012

FINALLY This Kid Has a Name!!

I'm surprised it took us this long to settle on a name! Derek was named within four weeks of our gender ultrasound. This one we named the day before I hit 31 weeks and after roughly a dozen trial-run names. Anyway, drumroll please.....

BRYCE WILLIAM HEATH

will hopefully make his debut on 22 Oct 2012. I had to schedule an induction with my OB so we can be sure he'll be the one to deliver me (I need some surgery done and no other dr will attempt it, so it has to be my dr to deliver). Otherwise, I'll have to go in for general anesthesia surgery sometime after the baby is born aaaaaand I'd rather not. So please pray the epidural works!! :D

Lens of the eye, hands tucked under chin and little white lines are the umbilical cord - 16 wks 4d

Little Bryce is measuring just ahead of schedule (just like Derek did), all organs look fine (unlike Derek's kidneys), and he likes to sit right at the very bottom of my uterus... as far down as he can get. He also has a tendancy to tickle my ribs and, let me tell you, that is WEIRD. I'm sure everyone has been tickled on the outside of their ribs, but being tickled from the inside is a whole different feeling. It really feels like he's intentionally tickling. So far, he doesn't like it when I drink hot chocolate or when I scratch my stretch marks. He stops moving when Mitchell puts his hand on my belly, but we're not sure if he's just listening to the incoherent, deep voice mumbles Mitchell makes when he tries to talk through my belly (he puts his lips right on my bare belly, deepens his voice and makes all kinds of "reassuring" baby talk. It's adorable.). Maybe Bryce is just afraid of the massive hand blocking out most of his light.

Hand over his face at 20 wks 4d

3D image at 20 wks 4d

I have developed the strangely funny habit of bracing myself whenever Derek runs over to me. Usually he tries to "color" with me (he can't say "cuddle" properly) in the mornings on the couch which involves a lot of belly guarding as Derek launches himself into my lap. A few mornings ago, he ran over to me, patted my belly, kissed my belly and said, "Ah lah yew brudda!" (translation: I love you brother!) Completely unsolicited from me, I assure you. I can't wait for these two boys to meet each other!

Derek is talking more and more and MORE! And not just jabbering but he'll have bursts of surprising clarity more frequently. He's probably up to 100-200 words if you count the ones that I have to translate, but a surprising number are becoming intelligible to other people.

His new phrases this week:

"Hey, check it out!" - said when pulling every single toy out of the toy box
"What happened?" - pretty self-explanatory
"Where'd you come from?" - usually when Mitchell comes home for lunch
"What the HECK?!" - seriously, no idea where he got his little sing-song version of this one
"So..." or "so, yeah..."- he says this pretty often before he starts into a sentance. I'm the source.

What the HECK?! 

Bryce William 31 wks 1d

No comments: