We finally get to meet Derek's teacher tonight! She sent Derek a postcard with a little message on it saying she's excited to meet him and knows that they'll have a great year. We discovered a great German school tradition called a "schultute" (shool-TOO-teh). Parents make and decorate cones that they stuff with school supplies and treats for the kids' first day of school. I let Derek decorate his own schultute and we decided it would be nice to decorate one for his teacher. He was more absorbed in putting stickers on his, so I painted a Prosper "P" and her name, Mrs. Avila, on her schultute. Derek picked out the treats and a giant silk peony flower to give to his teacher. He was excited to carry it in to give to her. Mitchell and I took Derek, Bryce and Clara to see Derek's classroom and meet his teacher tonight and the kids had a blast! I really like Mrs. Avila and her no-nonsense yet laid back attitude.She and another mother thought Clara was so cute with her tiny person walking around like she owned the place. She was very confident and comfortable walking independently around the room, inspecting things and walking in some of the storage buckets. Derek and Bryce helped themselves to her small class library and "read" books to themselves. Derek seemed very comfortable with his class and his teacher and I know he's going to have a great year!

Derek was very proud of the effort he put into Mrs. Avila's schultute!
Mrs. Avila and Derek!
Derek and Bryce reading books
Derek is so excited to start kindergarten at Cockrell Elementary!
Bryce can't wait to start school like his big brother!
No comments:
Post a Comment