Sunday, April 25, 2010

Commissioning

So, my amazing dad called me one day towards the end of March and said he wanted to get a gift for Mitch's commissioning but didn't know if his idea was "stupid." He wouldn't tell me what it was at first, but I weaseled it out of him: an official Air Force saber. Stupid is not even on the map... TOTALLY WICKED COOL! So my dad ordered it and it arrived around April 3rd I think. I had to keep that a secret for almost a MONTH!! Anyone who knows me knows I have a super hard time keeping secrets but I did it! I put the box in the storage closet and Mitch was really good about staying out. Unfortunately, I forgot the camera when we went to the big commissioning ceremony (please don't be mad, Dad!), but we did take these pictures with the sabre when we got home.


Loves it... Love, not like

It reads, "2LT Mitchell S. Heath" and it's going on the wall of his office

Mitch had scheduled a smaller ceremony for the following day so his parents could attend and I remembered to bring the camera that time. Our Det 855 commander, Col. Johnson, commissioned Mitch. Here are the videos from that ceremony:



Pinning on his "butter bars" comes first in the ceremony


Then he takes the Oath of Office



Here he receives his first salute as a newly commissioned 2nd LT. Master Sergeant Davenport has been at Det 855 at least since 2006 when Kadi started ROTC. He's super cool.


Col. Johnson gave the new commissionees a chance to say a few words...

No comments: