Derek came running into the house this afternoon yelling that there was a bird in the grass that won't fly away. Sure enough, I found a older fledgling scissor-tailed flycatcher sitting in the grass. I picked it up to see if it was injured, took a few pictures and opened my hand. It perched on my fingers for a split second before it fluttered and flapped awkwardly across the yard, aiming for the large tree just across the fence. It missed the branch by inches and landed in the mud behind the barn. I checked on it a few hours later and it was still there, so I walked around the long way into the pasture, picked up the kids' toys they had dropped and grabbed the bird on my way back. The neighborhood kids were fascinated and we did a quick biology lesson before I headed back home. The bird was struggling, so I opened my hand again and it fluttered into a bush. Safe enough.
Isn't it cute?!
I love the beautiful orange color under the wings. Definitely one of my favorite birds.
No comments:
Post a Comment