Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Derek Heath, Bug Hunter

Derek found a caterpillar hunter beetle outside today and I took the opportunity to teach him about bug hunting. It was so much fun to pass on bug hunting lore and knowledge to the next generation. ;) Derek had a great time and the beetle was a great sport. We only spent about 5 minutes with it before we let him "go back to his family." All Derek's idea. I'm so proud!

Trying to get the bug out of the Halloween bucket Derek put him in

Trying to catch it... GENTLY! He picked up on that part pretty quickly.

Watching and waiting for the bug to make a move.

I love how excited he is when he caught it!

This would be my hand the bug is sitting on.

Taking the bug outside to release him.

Derek wasn't too happy about the bug climbing his shoulder to fly away, so I used my shoulder instead.

Derek ran inside to get his binoculars to find the bug after it flew to the other side of the street.

"I see it, Mommy!" Pretty sure he couldn't see it, since it landed in the uncut grass, but whatever floats his little boat. ;)

No comments: