Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Doodle-Dids

Derek is 'Dorable. And funny as all get out. Not only does he talk, but he's starting to make sound effects - most notably explosions - and has such a quirky sense of humor. He loves to be startled and is started to realize I do cool things when I leave the house without him (like go to the library and Wal-mart). He loves his aunts, uncles and cousins but especially his grandparents. We look at pictures of the absent grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins several times a week.

The First of the Doodle-Dids in this post
Not sure why he thinks throwing balls is such a funny activity

Speed bump! The calm before the destruction of his block city or lego tower

Sorry for the "flash-back" in the next picture, but reflective capabilities are just one of the reasons I love duck tape. :)

Derek loves buttons. Big buttons, little buttons, round buttons, but especially the rectangular buttons (see button on the upper left hand corner of the lovely thing in the picture) that control the lights. If it has a button, Derek WILL find it in less than 10 seconds. Then he will push it and (sometimes) bad things happen: he turns off computers, changes the channel at the worst possible moment or during the climax of a movie*

So, I had an abnormally brilliant idea - make his own button pusher!! And it cost me less than $12. Not exactly the cheapest toy, but it's a pretty big hit in sacrament (and nursery).

Behold!! The (Other) Doodle-Did!!! I'm sure you're glancing at your dictionary out of the corner of your eye, wondering what the heck a "doodle-did" is. Well, you'd have to ask my father-in-law that one. Doodle-Did is one of the many nicknames we have for Derek around here. We usually find him walking away from the scene of the crime looking for more buttons to push - hence the "Did" because he already "did" it. I think "Doodle" popped up because it starts with D. Haha!

Anyway, the idea is that Derek can flip buttons to his heart's content (rest assured, all wires and screws are hidden safely) and I might finally be able to take notes in sacrament for the first time in a year and a half. Next sacrament will be the first time since I made the Doodle-Did that I'll be able to sit in sacrament - I've been filling in as chorister - but now I'm free!

Derek seems fascinated with the buttons until he realizes there is no "effect" to his "cause." These buttons aren't attached to anything cool, unfortunately. But it still manages to provide a few minutes of peace during Sacrament meeting and THAT is priceless. :)

No comments: