Sunday, May 29, 2011

Remember Memorial Day Tomorrow

I am so grateful to live in this country and especially to be a Latter-day Saint in this country. It's staggering to think how good our lives are - good food, running water, warm bed - heck, people in McKinney often leave their doors unlocked at night! Talk about peace of mind. I'm starting to value that particular gift more and more.

I don't watch rated R movies, but I love this quote from A Few Good Men - When asked why the character likes Marines, she responds, "Because they stand up on a wall [or in a desert or on a ship or in an aircraft] and say, "Nothing's going to hurt you tonight, not on my watch."

I love that. I think that captures the essence and heart of all our troops regardless of branches. They serve their country and their families and people they'll never meet in this life. I appreciate their sacrifice and that of the sweet and steady spouses and children who stand behind them. Do I still feel sore at the Air Force? Sometimes. Do I support our troops? Absolutely, 100%. I support the troops, I pray for them and their families and wish we didn't have so many wars but the fact remains that "wars and rumors of wars" are unavoidable. Prophets in every dispensation have declared this to be a precursor to the return of Christ to the earth and so it must be. The last days were never going to be easy but we have a great trust and responsibility to usher in the second coming of Christ. May He come quickly and end this great suffering.

(and as a side note - I can't wait to save up for THIS painting. Its stunning and poignant.)

1 comment: