Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Justin Bieber..... Hmmm...

As a continuation of my comments on facebook, I think Justin Bieber is a "talented little terd" but I don't think I'd ever want my kids to see his music videos. People say Stephanie Meyer portrayed unrealistic love in the Twilight books, but I think the music videos of teens today are fueling that fire just as much, if not more. In Justin's "Baby ft. Ludacris," He chases unrelentingly after another pre-teen at a bowling alley, even putting his hand out to touch her chest. Don't believe me? Check out THIS youtube link and watch at 1:02. Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan and Miley Cyrus are all prime examples of what happens when kids get into the music/acting business too young and are expected to make grown-up decisions overnight. No matter how often the parents may act as the "agent" they still claim that their child should be allowed to make the decisions. Heaven forbid parents give guidance and direction, let alone enforce boundaries, rules and guidelines!! It makes me want to scream to see the waste of such wonderful kids. They're pushed and pulled until they eventually snap. I, for one, don't blame them entirely: I blame their parents. Granted kids should know that drugs are bad, but being raised for the world's entertainment they're likely to be heavily influenced by the world's standards, or lack thereof. I realize that we really are being tested far more extensively in these days than in any other previous dispensation. Wealth, "free-time" and social demands are just as much a trial as poverty, child-rearing and back-breaking hard work.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. Next week's soapbox will be about depression, ADD/ADHD and bipolar disorders.

2 comments:

Camilla said...

Hmmm I don't know about blaming the parents of those kid Disney prodigies -- a LOT of responsibility has to go on the kids themselves. They can choose what they want to do and they can create a value system for themselves even without amazing parents. Look at Mandy Moore! I don't think that she's the exception to the rule. I think that there are as many good examples as bad, but it's the bad that get publicized. I mean, there's never a headline: "SO-AND-SO Graduated from College!" It's just not as cool as "Olsen Twin has Eating Disorder!"

Kadi Heath said...

Mmm... I think the critical and inital responsibility lies with the parents though. If they never instill an appreciation for values in their children then the kids will crack at the first sign of pressure. I think very few kids will rise above the smut of the world. Too many are following the cycle of cute Disney girl to bad A-- punk chick to fall from fame because we have too many bad A-- punk chicks. I do agree that the dramatic falls from grace are more like what the tabloids like and I agree that Mandy Moore is an excellent role model when compared to Lindsay Lohan, but I think kids should be watching the adults around them for realistic role models. We tend to follow celebrity love flings and ridiculously expensive and immodest fashions where we should be looking at emulating their positive values and actions.