Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

This has been a great day. Mitch gave a wonderful talk on fathers today in church. He discussed how great an influence his own father was, and still is, in his own life. My father-in-law is definitely an awesome man. I can really tell that the example he set for Mitch (at the very least) was very positive and very permanently influential. Mitch also focused on the concept of father as a relationship to the spouse. One thing he said that struck me was, "Brethren, you didn't kneel across the alter from your son or daughter, you knelt across from your wife." Wow. What a man! There are times (like this) that I wonder what I did to deserve him, much less how I attracted him. ;)

Chillaxin' with Dad

He adores Mitch

Heavenly Father has definitely blessed me with a wonderful husband and a great little boy. As much as I complain about lost sleep and frustration, he really is a good baby. He doesn't cry unless he wants food or wants to switch positions. He falls into routines fairly easily, especially after traveling, he smiles at anything that moves and is starting to develop into a plucky little optimist. He still likes to cuddle with Mom or Dad, but can be independent and actually likes some alone time (as long as he can glance over to you periodically). He can also do an assisted "tripod" sit. My baby is definitely growing up fast! :)


I love my awesome Dad!

I owe my earthly dad for much of where I am today. He has shown me such unconditional love and constantly challenges me to do better and be self-sufficient. All the father's blessings, nights of counsel, tears and challenges have helped mold me into the woman I am today. I love my dad so much and I'm so grateful for his love for me. I was thinking about all the memories we made growing up; here's a sample of my favorites:

1) Scaring Amy. Amy (my sister) left her bike at a friend's house and Dad told her she had to get it. It wasn't super late and the it was only a block away. We lived in a small town, so there was definitely no problem with safety. Despite a tearful protest, she left. As she was walking back, my dad, stepmom, myself and my two other sisters hid ourselves in the bushes next to our driveway to await Amy's return. As she was walking her bike toward the drive, we sprang out and scared her. I know it sounds super mean, but it was hilarious.

2) Holly. My first dog was a black lab/chow mix we named Holly. I don't remember where Dad got her, but I remember Mom driving our big white van to pick me up from 2nd grade and Dad had this little scrap of a puppy in a towel on his lap. I was so excited and it was chaos in that van on the way home.

3) Father's blessings. I remember how peaceful I felt after my dad gave me a Father's blessing. He would pretty much drop whatever he was doing to talk with me and then put his hands on my head. He always gave me a blessing each summer before the school year started.

4) Inviting me and my sisters to look at this profile on the online dating service he was using. It was a picture of my future step mom. He asked us what we thought and if we wanted to meet her.

5) Introducing me to the world of animals. My dad has always encouraged a love of animals in me. He told me stories about his horse, Popcorn, his dogs, his tortoise. One time, we found a tortoise in the engine of our car. I don't remember how we found it, but it was unharmed and we kept it for a little bit. Another time, Holly (or maybe it was our German Shepherd, Spike) brought us a baby squirrel. It was still alive and not badly harmed and Dad let us keep it. Another time, Megan and Lucky found a baby possum. Dad let me keep him, too (I named him Jake). Probably one of the coolest pets ever.


This was Jake's spot for car rides: right behind my shoulder


6) Spike started my love affair with German Shepherds. He was a retired police dog and was definitely one of the best dogs in the world. Just a big loveable lug who would tolerate any amount of childish poking and prodding from us, but was fiercely protective of the family. My dad would play with him and taught us how to brush his thick double coat.

7) My dad has the coolest Southern accent ever. Not a hick accent, a Southern gentleman's accent.

8) My dad taught me how to work. As a 14- or 15-year-old, I would mow our 1 acre lot with a push mower once or twice a month. It took 3 hours usually because of all the Virginia oaks. Sometimes we'd go outside after a big storm to pick up debris in the yard or just pick up sticks some days. To this day, I love doing manual labor outside.

I love the men in my life. And I wouldn't change them for the world.

1 comment:

Blaze said...

Thanks Kadi. Love you too.