Well, the reason we don't have pictures is pretty dumb: the movers packed the camera. After seeing the camera prices at Walmart and Target, I think I'm becoming slightly more resigned to Mitch's firm "NO" to my request for another, especially since we had to get a new laptop for me to be able to do my online lessons while we're here. That was unexpected.
Mitchell will be leaving for a 5-day excursion to the field in a few minutes. Derek is asleep in his pack N play and will probably be waking up soon and needing to be fed. I, however, have decided to update my blog. If I don't do it now, I'll fall out of the habit.
The trip from Utah to Alabama was pretty much uneventful except for a hotel reservation mixup. Mitchell booked one hotel room through a third-person booking party (here's where I went "uh-oh") and forgot to change the hotel on our driving instructions we were putting together. Luckily, we were only a mile or two from where our reservations were. Lots of rain during the trip from Wyoming to Lincoln. That was fun, though.
We stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Wade in Tennessee for a couple days. We were able to attend the Nashville, TN temple while we were there and kept Grandpa Wade up late watching movies with us a couple nights. We found that he shares a love for NCIS with us. :) They also introduced us to Australia with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman (great movie!) and Avatar with Sigourney Weaver (also great!). We moved into our tiny hotel room (with our own kitchenette and our own bathroom - no sharing with other couples, thank heaven) and it's been working really well for us.
I'm excited to see how I fare on my own without Mitch. I've already learned to change the bucket in the dehumidifier (came with the room, awesome!), which is really heavy when full. I've also learned my way around the base to the BX, commissary and the gas station. I've made some friends and have a spouses' meeting tomorrow evening to discuss the spouse program here for ASBC students' spouses.
Wanna know a secret? I am SO not motivated to finish my psychology classes. I'm getting distracted by all the other super shiny things I want to do. Like getting my dog training certification. This is a minor certification but it opens the door for me to be able to get a higher certification that will let me put letters after my name. Cool, huh? It will also let me be able to administer the "Good Citizen" test to dogs.
Why is that important? Well.... personally, I think it's totally stupid that the bases limit dog owners to certain breeds. Pitbulls, dobermans, and rottweilers are prohibited because of "breed aggression." K, for one, that's stupid. Just because a high percentage of these kinds of dogs are used for aggressive activities or purposes does not mean the entire breed is automatically aggressive. Other breeds can have aggressive individuals, too. Enter the Good Citizen test, sponsored by the AKC. Basically, it's a piece of paper that says your dog has manners (basic obedience and lack of aggression) that are good enough to pass a 10-part test that evaluates how well they interact with people and other dogs. I'm going to try to petition the Air Force to only approve dogs to live on base based on whether or not they have a Good Citizen certificate rather than on their breed. We'll see how it goes.
Before I start that certification, though, I have to finish my psych classes. I'm aiming for August, but we'll see if I make it. December is the absolute latest I can graduate, but I will not wait that long.
That said, I'd better go do a lesson or two.
3 comments:
I'm glad you guys had a good trip. Way to keep going on your psych classes! You can do it! (A sweet friend I know once gave me similar encouragement) If I was there now I'd make you chocolate covered strawberries ;)
Don't mind me for stalking y'all. I thought "I wonder when everyone is getting here..." and decided to blog stalk you since y'alls isn't private :) I will say, though, that you have a good point about that test you were talking about for dogs. BUT, Pinnacle is lazy as crap. There is no way they would agree to administering that test for every single pet on base because, well... everyone and their mother (except for us) owns a dog. whether or not everyone and their mother SHOULD have a dog is questionable (much like how whether or not some people should have kids... same idea, if you catch my drift). But yah... you're in for a treat. We heart Pinnacle (and I say that completely sarcastically).
And congrats on making your way around that base. I was only there for a week, and it was terrifying. It is HUGE compared to Laughlin :) Another thing to look forward to... small everything because thats how Laughlin is.
Sorry for the novel, btw.
Post a Comment