Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Chicago - Days 3-5

We've been pretty lazy since Beth and Jilli went home. ;) I finally got around to scanning all the photos and it's been an AMAZING experience. Aunt Mary has a lot of photos of her mother's side of the family, including a scrapbook her mother (Margaret Jane Snyder) put together. There are pictures from 1910 in that book!! Also crazy cool - Aunt Nancy has her parents' wedding photos. There are about 70 of them and they're in great condition, aside from the cardboard being water warped. Aunt Mary and Aunt Nancy were a huge help in identifying the people in the photos and, with their help, I was able to sort them into decades (roughly) and Snyder or Lachus family piles. Mom helped me set up Aunt Nancy's super cool scanner that scans up to four photos at a time and creates individual files for each photo. That made scanning the smaller photos much faster. 

Aunt Mary, Mom and I headed out to do some quick shopping and checked out Dollar Tree and a Dollar General-type store. Their Dollar Tree was so cool! I snagged some cute hand mirrors to embellish for Clara and the girl cousins, and scored an entire set of ninja turtle key chains for the boys (I know Mitchell, Austin, Jared and Colton will be jealous. Ninja turtles are their thing). At the Dollar General-type store, I found a cool ship model that the boys will love. They love pointing to the giant ship model in Jeff's office and they'll be thrilled to have one of their own. I also found a Chicago PD car to go with Derek's police officer picture I took on Saturday. ;)

All too soon, it was time to go home. Mom and I caught the 5 pm flight home to Dallas on an international plane, which was really cool. Screens were built right into the backs of the seats and the flight plan (and our current location on the route) was displayed at intervals on the cabin dividers. Super useful. Bobby picked us up from the airport in his very spacious SUV and then we went to BJ's Brewery for a late dinner. Turns out Val still had my car keys in her car but I didn't have to wait long at Mom's for her to come back after the Stars game (hockey) had ended. Bobby and Mom stayed up to keep me company and we had an entertaining conversation. :) Finally, I snuck into the boys' room to ruffle their hair and give them a quick kiss (I know I would've woken Clara if I tried to go in her room) before I snuggled up next to my sweet husband in my very own bed with a laptop full of family photos just waiting to be edited and a brain full of some very happy memories. Thanks for an awesome trip, Mom, Aunt Mary, Aunt Nancy, Beth and Jilli!!! I can't wait to go back!!

Lily is a pro at sleeping on her back

The spread! Sorting and scanning party!!

Some of the pictures were so warped, we had to put this bucket of scanned photos on top to keep the lid down.

Sorting into piles by decade. The Lachus pile is on the right and the Snyder pile is on the right at the other end of the table. 

Mom bought some "happy Jesus" candles for Aunt Mary since her other candle had a picture of a sad, crucified Jesus on it. We lit the Jesus candle and Mary candle while we were working. :)

Oh. My. Word. Mitchell asked for only one thing... pizza from Giordano's. His favorite is the spinach pizza and boy, is it good! Mom picked up 4 frozen pizzas that we packed into our luggage and got a spare cooked one for lunch. Delicious!!

Lily loves to walk around with her babies in her mouth

I FOUND THE WHOMPING WILLOW! Hogwarts must have a charm on it to disguise is as an old Chicago house. ;)

Mom and I on our flight back home!

Helloooooo Dallas! Did you miss me? I sure missed my babies!

No comments: