Thursday, September 16, 2010

Terrified

Come back with me to a couple nights ago...

It's late, the sun has gone down and Lacey does NOT want to go to sleep. I sigh and grab the leash to take her on a quick walk. We enjoy our walk and the peacefulness of the night - nobody else around, cicadas chirping and Lacey is doing great on the leash. We reach the end of our route and turn back up the alleyway between houses to go to our backyard. I've been paying attention to Lacey more than my surroundings, reinforcing good leash manners, when she stops dead and focuses completely on something in the dark. I look up and see....


A MASSIVE SKUNK!!!

Anybody who knows me knows that I love all animals - I think having a skunk as a pet would be super cool (http://www.skunksaspets.com/). However, this was not a nice skunk. If I hadn't looked up, we'd've been skunked! This guy was big and bad and he was out to let us know it. Tail up and running AT US out of the dark!! Needless to say, I dragged Lacey after me and ran down the path for a few yards before the skunk left us alone. And just as we slowed down, what should appear out of the gloom but... ANOTHER SKUNK!! AAAAAHH! So, we just ran until we got into our backyard, which wasn't very far, but still....

And that was the end of nighttime walks for a while.

3 comments:

bekki said...

Oh my goodness how scary!! I wouldn't want to be caught out at night by skunks either! I hope you don't mind me following your blog! :) I love to see how you guys are doing. ~Bekki Hopkins

Andrea Forsyth said...

skunks here are ruthless. when we had our dog, she got skunked twice. it's a good idea to have the stuff to wash it off lacey on hand, because wow. i'm pretty sure every dog here gets skunked! glad you managed to avoid it!

Kadi Heath said...

Bekki - No worries! I'm glad we can keep in touch! Do you have a blog? Can I follow it too?

Andrea - What did y'all use? I haven't the first clue what to use other than tomato sauce. :) I definitely need to be prepared.