Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Texas State Aquarium

Mitchell and I also went to the Texas State Aquarium. I think this was my all-time favorite place to go growing up. My dad and I even volunteered here on weekends for a while. I learned a lot about the marine life on display and it was so much fun to see Mitchell's first impressions as we walked through all the exhibits. I think the touch pools were his favorite. :)

 Look at that sexy profile!

 It's always fun to hold hermit crabs!

 Bubble bubble!

 Check out this massive crab!

 Here's me posing with Hans the sand tiger shark. We're old friends.

 Piranhas

 Bird-Eating Spider - it's the size of a dinner plate

 Lion's Mane Jellies

 Moon Jellies (these are my favorite)

 The rescued dolphin exhibit. We watched the dolphin show and then went to the underground observation room. HUGE walls of plexiglass make you feel like you're right there in the tank with the dolphins. The trainers gave the dolphins huge 5 gallon blocks of ice and fish to encourage intellectual stimulation.

 I've always loved playing with the otters through the plexiglass wall. Unfortunately, none of those pictures came out very well, so I'll have to settle for this one. Such fond memories.

At the ray and shark touch tank. This cownose ray was really friendly and kept passing by really close to the edge of the tank. None of the sharks were interested in moving.

No comments: